Dear University employee,
A new notice for industrial action has been issued by the main contracting organizations of the university sector
The main contracting organizations of the university sector, the Negotiation Organization for Public Sector Professionals JUKO, the Trade Union for the Public and Welfare Sectors JHL and the Federation of Salaried Employees Pardia have issued a notice of industrial action to the National Conciliator’s Office and to the employer in question.
The targeted industrial action will take place as a strike at six universities and the normal schools under them on March 7. 2018 from 0:00 to 24:00, unless a conclusion is reached in the negotiations by March 6.
The universities participating in the strike:
- Tampere University,
- Tampere University of Technology,
- University of the Arts Helsinki,
- Vaasa University.
The members of each of the six universities will be notified individually about the strike.
Other universities and normal schools will arrange demonstrations to support the employees of the universities on strike.
All members of the Negotiation Organization for Public Sector Professionals JUKO, the Trade Union for the Public and Welfare Sectors JHL and the Federation of Salaried Employees Pardia working at the university, falling within the scope of collective agreement, will participate in the strike. However, if no agreement can be reached in the negotiations, and no significant progress is made, the unions are prepared to make decisions on expanding further the scope of industrial action.
The main contracting organizations of the university sector issued a notice of an industrial action last week, about the strike that takes place February 28 at the University of Helsinki.
The employer wants to dictate, not negotiate
The university sector has been without a collective agreement since the beginning of February. New collective agreement negotiations are not progressing because the employer has indicated contempt for its staff throughout the negotiations. At this moment, the national conciliator is mediating the conflict.
- The suggested salary increases, modest in scope, do not indicate that the valuable work performed by the staff is actually respected. Universities can afford to increase salaries whilst maintaining the current operational level as there was no deficit in the financial statement of any university in 2016. In addition, the cuts in government funding have already been compensated for by massive staff reductions.
- However, the employer is completely unwilling to discuss objectives important to employees, such as improving the status of fixed-term employees, rationalizing the use of working hours, discussing the compensation for travel time and remote work, enhancing the conditions to do research and reasonable salary increases.
We are the university -spirit is required yet again!
A strike is a mutual decision for the contracting organizations of the university sector. We must stand together and support those members, who participate in the industrial action.
- Other universities and practice schools will hold ¨demonstrations March 7. to reinforce fair working conditions. These demonstrations will be held outside working hours.
- Participate in your own campus and wear your We are the university -button. The buttons and other materials will be delivered to the universities’ industrial action committees before the end of February. More information available from your local association or shop-steward.
- We are the university -spirit is yet again required! Also, remember to use the hashtag #wearetheuniversity #meolemmeyliopisto in social media.
Follow information provided by JUKO using the following website and social media:
For further information, please contact
General Manager Johanna Moisio,
Tel. +358 (0)40 874 135
Manager of International Affairs Riku Matilainen,
+358 (0)207 589 614